All use of the Internet shall be consistent with Sidney City Schools’s goal of maximizing the
potential of every person every day by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and
communication. Guidance and instruction will be provided and required for each individual granted
Internet access through the school. The policy does not attempt to state all required and/or
unacceptable behaviors by users. However, some specific examples are provided. The failure of any
user to follow the terms of the Responsible Use Policy for Internet Access will result in the loss of
privileges, disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action. An agreement to this form is legally
binding and indicates the party who signed off has read the terms and conditions carefully and
understands their significance.
Internet - Terms and Conditions
1) Acceptable Use - The use of your account must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives of Sidney City Schools.
2) Privileges - The use of the Sidney City Schools telecommunications services is a privilege, not a
right. Inappropriate use will result in the cancellation of those privileges. The technology director
and the superintendent will deem what is inappropriate use and their decision is final. The administration, faculty, and staff of Sidney City Schools may request the technology director and/or the system administrators to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts.
3) Unacceptable Use – You are responsible for your actions and activities involving the
network. Some examples of unacceptable use are:
- Using the network for any illegal activity, including violation of copyright or other contracts, or transmitting any material in violation of any U.S. or state regulation.
- Unauthorized downloading of software, regardless of whether it is copyrighted or free from viruses or malware.
- Downloading copyrighted material
- Using the network for private or commercial gain.
- Gaining unauthorized access to resources or entities.
- Invading the privacy of individuals.
- Posting material authored or created by another without his/her consent.
- Posting anonymous messages.
- Accessing, submitting, posting/publishing or displaying defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, racially offensive, harassing or illegal material, or any other material deemed educationally inappropriate.
- Using the network while access privileges are suspended or revoked.
- Posting chain letters or engaging in spamming.
3) Exclusive Use of Access - Network users are solely responsible for the use of their login,
passwords, and access privilege. Any problems that arise from the use of a registered user's login
are the user's responsibility. The use of a registered login by someone other than the user is
forbidden and is grounds for denial or limitation of network access privileges. Primary network
resources can only be accessed with school owned computers, Chromebooks and similar devices.
4) Network Etiquette – You are expected to abide by the accepted rules of network and safety
etiquette. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Be polite.
- Use appropriate language. Do not swear or use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language.
- Do not reveal the addresses or telephone numbers of students or colleagues.
- Do not use the network to disrupt the use of the network by other users.
- All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be property of Sidney City Schools.
5) Personal Safety – For your own benefit, observe the following precautions:
- Do not post personal contact information about yourself or other people. This information includes, but is not limited to your address, telephone number, work address, etc.
- Do not agree to meet with someone you have met online.
- Disclose to your teacher, librarian, or classroom supervisor any message you receive that is inappropriate or makes you feel uncomfortable.
6) Search and Seizure/Due Process - Your Chromebook and network accounts are not private.
Routine maintenance and monitoring of the email or file servers may lead to discovery that you
have violated this agreement, or the law. The technology director and/or systems administrators
will conduct searches if there is reasonable suspicion that you have violated this agreement or the
law, or if requested by local, state or federal law enforcement officials. Sidney City Schools will
cooperate fully with local, state, or federal officials in any investigation related to illegal activities
conducted on network resources owned by Sidney City Schools.
7) Security - Security on any computer system is of the highest priority, especially when the
system involves many users. If you identify a security problem on technology resources, you must
notify the technology director. Users should not demonstrate the problem to other users. Users
should not use another individual's logins. Attempts to log on to the network with a stolen identity
or as a system administrator will result in cancellation of user privileges, and possible expulsion. If
a user is identified as a security risk or has a history of problems with other computer systems, Sidney City Schools Schools may deny access to technology resources.
8) Vandalism/Harassment – Vandalism and/or harassment will result in cancellation of privileges
and disciplinary action will be taken. Vandalism is defined as any malicious and/or intentional
attempt to harm, steal or destroy data of another user, school networks, or technology hardware.
This includes but is not limited to the uploading or creation of computer viruses, installing
unapproved software, changing equipment configurations, deliberately destroying or stealing
hardware and its components, or seeking to circumvent network security. Harassment is defined as the persistent annoyance of another user or the interference in another’s work. This includes, but is not limited to, the sending of unwanted e-mail.
9) Sidney City Schools reserves the right to amend this policy as needed.
10) The Responsible Use Policy is signed off on each year while at Sidney City Schools.