Regular attendance is a significant student responsibility at all grade levels. Many studies correlate regular attendance with success in school. Regular attendance means that the academic learning process is not interrupted, less time is spent on make-up assignments, and students benefit from participation and interaction with others in class. Many important lessons are learned through active participation in classroom and other school activities that cannot be replaced by individual study.
Establishing a pattern of good attendance will benefit the student in school and in the workplace. Attendance is important in the development of a high quality work ethic, which will be a significant factor in a student’s success with future employers. One of the most important work habits that employers look for in hiring and promoting a person is his/her dependability in coming to work every day on time. This is a habit the School wants to help students develop as early as possible.
Notification of Absence
If a student is absent, the parent/guardian must notify the School by calling the school at the start of the school day providing an explanation (leaving a message as directed, if the system goes to voice-mail).
- Emerson - 937-497-2261 - BEFORE 9:30AM
- Longfellow - 937-497-2264 - BEFORE 9:30AM
- Northwood - 937-497-2231 - BEFORE 8:30AM
- Whittier - 937-497-2275 - BEFORE 8:30AM
- Sidney Middle School - 937-497-2225 - BEFORE 8:30AM
- Sidney High School - 937-497-2245 - BEFORE 9:00AM
- Sidney Alternative Schools - 937-494-2003
If prior contact is not possible, the parents should provide a written excuse as soon as possible after the student’s absence. When no excuse is provided, the absence will be unexcused and the student will be identified as truant for that school day. If the offered excuse for a student’s absence is questionable or if the number of student absences is excessive, the school staff will notify the parents of the need for improvement in the student’s attendance.
A student who is not in his/her assigned location by the designated time (8:45am) shall be considered tardy.
Any student arriving late to school is to report to the school office before going to class.
- Arrival after 8:45am and before 10:15am will be recorded as a tardy. (note: If a student rides a school bus and the bus is late the student is not counted as tardy.)
- Arrival to school after a medical, dental, or court appointment before 10:15am will not be counted as tardy if the student brings in an excuse slip from the doctor’s office or court.
- Arrival to school after 10:15am. will be recorded as ½ day of absence
- Arrival before 8:45am and leaving before 10:15am without returning will be recorded as absent for the entire day.
- Arrival before 8:45am and leaving after 10:15am without returning will be recorded as ½ day of absence.
- Dismissal before 1:45pm will be recorded as ½ day of absence.
- Dismissal after 1:45pm will not be recorded as any type of absence if the student has a medical, dental or court appointment and brings an excuse slip from the doctor’s office or court upon his/her return to school.
Middle School Level
A student must be in class at 7:40 a.m. If a student is late to school, he/she must get a tardy slip from the office and have a note from a parent explaining the reason for the tardiness. Having a note does not guarantee that each tardy to school will be excused. Administration will determine the validity of each note. Unexcused tardiness to school or class will result in disciplinary action. Students entering or exiting the building after the start of the school day must report to the office and sign in or out.
Tardiness to school will be documented and recorded during each of the nine week grading periods. Tardiness to school is monitored during each grading period and restarts at the beginning of the next grading period.
High School Level
Each student is expected to be in his/her assigned location
throughout the school day. If a student is late arriving at school,
s/he must report to the School office before going to his/her first
assigned location. Any student who is late to class up to 5
minutes shall be disciplined by the teacher. Students who are
more than 20 minutes late will be considered absent for that
instructional period and will be assigned a T-school.
Students who are tardy to school more than two (2) times during a
quarter shall be disciplined as follows: three (3) tardies= one (1)
detention, four (4) tardies= one (1) T-School, five (5) tardies= two (2)
T-Schools, and any additional tardy will result in ISR
No student will be allowed to leave school prior to dismissal time without either (a) a written request signed by the parent or guardian or (b) the parent or guardian coming to the School office to request the release. No student will be released to a person other than a custodial parent(s) or guardian without a written permission signed by the custodial parent(s) or guardian.